Choosing LTL (Less Than Truckload) Carrier: Is Least Expensive Always Best?Posted On 1st March 2016
As your business grows, you will likely need to transport larger loads more often. When this time comes, you will need to choose an LTL carrier that can handle your needs. There are a few things to consider before starting to search for an LTL carrier, such as the size and weight of your shipments, the frequency of your shipments, and your budget.
The size and weight of your shipments are important factors to consider when choosing an LTL carrier. You will need to make sure that the carrier you choose can accommodate the size and weight of your shipments. If you ship large or overweight items regularly, you will need to find a carrier that specializes in shipping these types of items.
The frequency of your shipments is another important factor to consider. If you ship items on a regular basis, you will need to find a carrier that offers shipping services that meet your needs. If you only ship items occasionally, you may be able to find a carrier that offers shipping services on an as-needed basis.
Your budget is also an important factor to consider when choosing an LTL carrier. You will need to find a carrier that fits within your budget. There are many different carriers available, so you should be able to find one that meets your needs without breaking the bank.
When you are ready to choose an LTL carrier, keep these factors in mind. The right carrier can make all the difference in the success of your business.
Start Choosing the Right LTL Carrier
Choosing an LTL carrier is a big decision. After all, this carrier will be responsible for getting your goods to their destination safely and on time. There are a few things you should keep in mind when choosing an LTL carrier.
- Make sure the carrier is licensed and insured. This is the most important thing to look for in an LTL carrier. You want to make sure your goods are protected in case of an accident or damage during shipping.
- Compare rates. Get freight quotes from several different carriers so you can compare rates. Make sure to compare apples to apples, though - some carriers may charge extra for fuel surcharges or other fees that you'll want to take into account.
- Check out the carrier's reputation. Ask around and see if anyone you know has used the carrier before. You can also check online reviews to get an idea of what other customers have thought about the carrier's service.
- Make sure the carrier offers the services you need. If you need special handling for your shipment, make sure the carrier you're considering offers that service. Otherwise, you may end up paying more for shipping than you need to.
- Ask about transit times. Find out how long it will take for your shipment to reach its destination. This is important if you need your goods delivered by a certain date.
Follow these tips and you'll be well on your way to choosing the right LTL carrier for your shipping needs.
Is the Least Expensive LTL Carrier Always the Best?
It may be that the least expensive LTL carrier is the best one for you to use, but here are some points for you to consider:
1. Reliability of pickup and drop-off:
If you or your clients are not very flexible, then only a few carriers may be able to service your pickup and drop-off points reliably. You can check Carrier Reviews at FreightRun.com, although some of this is very local and it matters how far away the terminal is from you.
Does the carrier you pick always reweigh and re-inspect your LTL freight and challenge the NMFC number or class you try to use?
This is a huge drain on your time and an added expense if they successfully charge you more. The problem is, they are usually right on the facts!
3. Insurance coverage:
Look into the value of your freight vs. the loss value the carrier will pay if your cargo is lost or damaged. Also, consider the freight company’s reputation by reading Carrier Reviews at FreightRun.com.
4. Transit times actually achieved:
Look at what the carrier says is standard for them in that lane, and check Carrier Reviews on Freight Run to see what other clients say about their actual experiences.
FreightRun.com personnel would be happy to investigate these issues with you, and to set up your online account to only view the truckers you WANT to see, the ones you KNOW can service your specific needs.